BitKeeper licence critic

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Mon Mar 18 15:36:58 UTC 2002

Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From: Simo Sorce <idra at samba.org>

> >> You don't understand that it does not make sense to to it yourself because
> >> the maintainers will not use your patches!
>
> >You ARE wrong!
> >I personally applied many patches to samba from others!
>
> Then you are a much better maintainer than the ones I have been in contact
> with....

Did it ever occur to you that this might be related to your style?
If you constantly attack each and everything that comes to mind, and
at the same time take any criticism of your statements as personal
offense, it's rather hard to discuss anything with you
constructively. (Of course, I don't know if your debates with those
moderators were similar to this discussion, so my assumption may be
wrong.)

> >hmm I think you are wrong again here, my experience with samba tell me
> >so. We use GNU make and I see no multi platform problems (take a look to
> >http://build.samba.org to see how many different platfroms works ok!
> >They are not all the platforms samba runs on, but only the platforms we
> >have currently available in the build farm)
>
> Did you ever have a closer look at my makefile system?
>
> It is really bad that people critisize it but do not even read the basic
> information.

That's a typical example of what I mean: He did not criticize your
system. In fact, he does not even talk about your system in the
quoted paragraph. He merely states that their system works for them
to counter your unfounded claims that no system beside yours can
possibly work.

It's you who permanently criticizes other systems, most of the time
without giving concrete examples. Maybe you have some points, but
without telling them, it's hard for us to see them. This way you can
only convince people who share your views already.

Besides, it never helps if you take yourself too importantly. Sure,
cdrecord is a nice program, but it's by far not the most important
thing to do with a computer, c'mon now. By making such absurd
claims, you only lose credibility and/or appear arrogant.

Frank

Frank Heckenbach, frank at g-n-u.de
http://fjf.gnu.de/
GnuPG and PGP keys: http://fjf.gnu.de/plan (7977168E)