GPL - possible violation - what should I do?

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 12:04:25 UTC 2002

Jan Wildeboer <jan.wildeboer at gmx.de> wrote:
> The way we understand the GNU General Public License all modules programmed
> to be used in our system must be published under the terms of the GPL. Our
> opinion is mainly based on this GPL-FAQ entry:
> http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins
>
> This is due to the fact that shipping/payment modules use objects generated
> by our project (the cart object, customer address etc.). So we are quite
> sure that the second part of this FAQ-entry is valid in this context, so all
> modules written for our project MUST be published under the terms of the GPL
> or a GPL-compatible license.

I believe this to be the case, but I'm unable to find any documentation on
how plug-ins integrate with your software.  (I am asked to give you my
details before being allowed to read the FAQ!) Are they really linked in, or
could they be counted as separate programs?  Can someone more familiar with
PHP confirm that this use of objects is similar to that in C++ or other more
common languages, please?

Also, you ought to follow the instructions of how to apply the GPL to your
software more closely.  Most of your files seem not to have any copyright
information, for example.  Are they covered by the GPL or another "Open
Source" licence?  This may be part of the reason for the third party
company's confusion.
--