GNU Hurd

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Sat Mar 16 17:13:23 UTC 2002

>From marcus at gnu.org Sat Mar 16 18:05:06 2002

>On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 05:00:59PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> There are more then zero people with interest for BeOS, there are zero people
>> with interest for cdrecord on HURD.

>Joerg, please port cdrecord to the Hurd.  And if that doesn't count I
>can ask the ~800 people on debian-hurd if anybody of them would like to
>see cdrecord ported to the Hurd, too, to send you a mail about it.
>Would that be of any help?

So does HURD have a SCSI generic transport interface?

>PS: I have ported a couple of hundred programs to the Hurd because there
>was a demand for it.  Hurd people don't walk around and ask people to do
>their work.  Hurd people do the port themself and submit proper
>patches.  cdrecord is difficult to port because we lack the interfaces
>you need to access the hardware, and probably we lack the drivers, too.
>So from the point of view of cdrecord, the Hurd is probably pretty
>useless, but it is definitely far from dead.

cdrecord is easier to port than most other software because it uses
a decent portability system.

To start you first should compile 'smake' because GNUmake does not
implement automake features and there is no OS definition files
for HURD.

If there is decent POSOX compatibility, then smake should be able to
compile cdrecord on HURD. If it does not compile, send a list of problems
that can be discussed. Once it compiles we need to create a SCSI transport
adaption layer.

P.S. I usually don't install an OS and do it myself because this takes
more time and people who know the OS should be faster in finding
solutions for portability problems.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling

 FOKUS at CeBIT Hall 11, A14 - BerliOS at CeBIT Hall 11 D11 (Future Market)

 Meet me at CeBIT in Hall 11 D11 on the BerliOS booth - www.berlios.de