PDF format (was: Re: BitKeeper licence critic)

Wolfgang Jährling wolfgang at pro-linux.de
Sat Mar 16 15:56:38 UTC 2002

Joerg Schilling <schilling at fokus.gmd.de> wrote:
> >From jeroen at dekkers.cx Sat Mar 16 14:27:21 2002
> >What's non-free about the PDF?
>
> You are trying to participate a discussion about freedom and don't know
> what's not free with PDF?

Well, the PDF format specification is available at
<http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/acrosdk/DOCS/pdfspec.pdf>
and there are free tools which can read and write PDF. So what's the
problem with that format? It appears to me that PDF is as acceptable as
the Java language, and given that "the GNU project fully supports the Java
language" (see <http://www.gnu.org/software/java/java.html>), I doubt
there are any problems with that one.

I can't see what's non-free about PDF. Could someone tell me please?

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Jährling <wolfgang at pro-linux.de> `-:._ "Omnis enim res, quae dando
Debian GNU/Linux user && Debian GNU/Hurd user  `-:. non deficit, dum habetur