What do to about BitKeeper and the Linux Kernel (was: BitKeeper licence critic)

Marcus Brinkmann marcus at gnu.org
Sat Mar 16 15:18:27 UTC 2002

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 02:09:02PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > IMHO there will be never THE GNU system, only a whole continuum od GNU
> > based systems. And that is good.
>
> Yes, there is one GNU system. That's the system developed by GNU and
> released by GNU. AFAIK GNU already decided to use Debian for the
> distribution. The official GNU system is thus Debian GNU/Hurd.

Sorry, but that is not possible because the FSF can not let
Debian decide what is free software and what is not.  The definition
of free software differs slightly between GNU and Debian.

Contrary to believe, there _will_ be THE GNU system, and if RMS gets
what he wants, it will be available before this year ends.  And it will
not be called Debian GNU/Hurd, but it will be based on Debian GNU/Hurd,
and all improvements will be done in Debian GNU/Hurd if possible (we
will only do it seperately in GNU/Hurd if we can not do it in Debian for
whatever reasons).

Thanks,
Marcus