The Hurd

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Sat Mar 16 12:56:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 12:04:37PM +0100, Eneko Lacunza wrote:
> 	I think that Linux has no special responsibility in The Hurd having few
> help on its developing; If it wasn't Linux, it would have been FreeBSD,
> or NetBSD, or MyUnixClone.

There is a big difference between FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc. and GNU/Linux
if you compare it with GNU/Hurd. Linux uses the whole GNU system,
NetBSD and FreeBSD have its own userland. People who want to use the
GNU system would use GNU/Hurd if GNU/Linux would not be available.

> 	The fact is that people wanted:
> 	. Reliable systems
> 	. Free systems

GNU/Hurd is a free system and in theory it can be much more reliable
than a system with a monolithic kenrel. (Mail microkernels vs
monolithic kernels just to me and not the list, please. We are already
offtopic enough)

> 	And Linux and the others gave it to them, "quickly" (faster than The
> Hurd could, probably).

A reimplementation is always simpler and Linux was indeed faster
because it was much easier to do.

> 	But I don't think this is a Bad Thing for The Hurd; It is having much
> more time for a much better development,

No, we don't have more time. We have less time, because we have less developers.

> and if, finally, it's design
> proves superior, I have no doubt that it will clear the world of Linuxes
> and alikes.

Well, I would rather first clear the world of proprietary systems. :-)

> 	But "meantime", I think we have some excelent, free unix derivatives.

IMHO Unix is really too old and the last development on its design was
back in the 80s. Sure, the current free unix clones are nice, but that
doesn't mean we can't improve the situation.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects