GNU Hurd

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Sat Mar 16 12:43:22 UTC 2002

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 05:39:23PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> I am sorry, but I am only seeing weeny type arguments for HURD.

You spell it as "the Hurd", see
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/faq.en.html#q1-2 for more information
about that.

Second, what do you mean with "arguments for HURD"? Arguments for its
existence? Arguments for using it? Arguments for developping it?
Arguments why it isn't being used as much as it should?

> Looking at the HURD programming progress shows up that there was
> some progress in 1996 and 1997. Please note that this was some years
> _after_ Linux became successful.

First try to look more careful before writing an e-mail. If you did
that first you wouldn't spread such FUD and wouldn't make a fool of
yourself.

> For this reason, I cannot see that
> Linux should be responsible for the HURD desaster.

I also can't see that it's responsible. I only said that if GNU/Linux
didn't exist probably more people would have been working on
GNU/Hurd.

> If you believe that Hurd is a good idea, then stop talking about hurd
> and start working on hurd.

I'm already working on the Hurd and I won't stop talking about the Hurd.

> Once it becomes usable and has the features
> requested by the users it will be used by a noticable number of people.

The number of people trying it is already increasing because the want
the Hurd's features.

> Any OS that nobody likes to run cdrecord on could be considered dead these
> days....

You're a funny dude. And arrogant one, thinking that cdrecord is such
an important program. I can name dozens of programs which are far more
important than cdrecord and most of them already run on GNU/Hurd. I
would recommend people who want to port programs to GNU/Hurd to port
some of the more important and useful programs instead of porting
cdrecord.

I know OSes with more potential than 80% of the OSes cdrecord is
ported to. Also cdrecord runs on some really dead OSes (NT-3.5, BEos).

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects