The GNU Hurd (was: Re: What do to about BitKeeper and the Linux Kernel)

Wolfgang Jährling wolfgang at pro-linux.de
Sun Mar 10 19:49:02 UTC 2002

Hi!

Joerg Schilling <schilling at fokus.gmd.de> wrote:
> If there was a price for the OS of least interest, then HURD would win.

Please note that there is no such thing as a "HURD" operating system.
There is only "the Hurd", which is a collections of daemons, interfaces,
libraries and tools.

> GNU Hurd is the only OS I am aware of so far nobody has asked for a
> cdrecord port.

Which doesn't mean that nobody is interested in having such fine
software like cdrecord on GNU/Hurd. It's because people are realistic
and recognize that we need better hardware drivers and interfaces first.

> If you compare binary downloads and support requests for cdrecord,
> the most popupar POSIX like OS is Linux followed by Solaris and FreeBSD.

This is not surprising.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Jährling <wolfgang at pro-linux.de> `-:._ "Omnis enim res, quae dando
Debian GNU/Linux user && Debian GNU/Hurd user  `-:. non deficit, dum habetur