BitKeeper licence critic

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Sat Mar 9 00:38:44 UTC 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 12:09:18AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen at dekkers.cx> wrote:
> [...]
> > the Hurd has more potential than Linux. The Hurd is really stabilizing
> > at the moment, I don't expect a stable 2.6/3.0 Linux in the next 2
> > years.
>
> A procedural question for you Jeroen: how will releases be handled if all
> the subsystems are independent?  Isn't just producing a single release of
> Hurd going to be an effort similar to producing an entire distribution?  How
> do you describe the Hurd version?  Do the smaller bits have versions and
> releases of their own?  It's a whole new ball game...

At the moment we don't even have enough people to hack the Hurd,
forking the resources doesn't make sense. In the future we could have
the smaller bits developed by small groups with there own release
cycles etc. It's just one big package now, its last release was in
1997, you should just checkout the code from CVS. There are still a
lot of bugs to be fixed before a 0.3 release could happen.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects