What do to about BitKeeper and the Linux Kernel (was: BitKeeper licence critic)

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sat Mar 9 00:34:14 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 21:32, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:16:46PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > Can you name an example? I've never heard someone calling the
> > "GNU/Linux" system "GNU".
> I don't think that saying Linux is badly done and technically a disaster,
> and ignoring everything it has done for the Free Software community, is
> giving credit to Linux.

However, you have to concede that the GNU system started YEARS before
the Linux kernel.

I would not consider calling the system "Linux" ignoring everything the
GNU system has done for the community if I thought Linus (and some
distributors) was lacking intelligence.

As I think most of us would agree, Linus is a pretty bright guy, so he
must be calling the system "Linux" instead of GNU/Linux intentionally.

Now, if it is to increase personal promotion or if because of a
pet-pissoff, I don't give a damn.

I used to call the system "Linux", until I read why it should be called
GNU/Linux. I thought it made sense and was only fair to share credit.

Hugs, rui

+ So let's do it...?