What do to about BitKeeper and the Linux Kernel (was: BitKeeper licence critic)

Wolfgang Jährling wolfgang at pro-linux.de
Fri Mar 8 23:39:37 UTC 2002

Hi!

MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen at dekkers.cx> wrote:
> > The whole BK thing is just another reason to dislike Linux for
> > me. (Most of the other reasons are technical)
>
> If you're talking general about the microkernel vs hybrid-monolithic, isn't
> that debate still open?  In *theory* micro should win, but in practice, most
> of the successful ones are hybrids at the moment.

There are proprietary microkernel systems which are quite good (except
for being non-free, of course) and even fast. QNX and BeOS are examples.
But there's no production-quality free microkernel system yet.

> If you're talking about general crap in some of the code, then I'm sure
> certain pieces of GNU software can be found to have the same...

But certainly not the Hurd. :-)

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Jährling <wolfgang at pro-linux.de> `-:._ "Omnis enim res, quae dando
Debian GNU/Linux user && Debian GNU/Hurd user  `-:. non deficit, dum habetur