BitKeeper licence critic

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Fri Mar 8 23:25:32 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 11:20:23PM +0000, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 12:17:44AM +0100, Wolfgang J?hrling wrote:
> > The biggest reason for GNU/Linux being widely used is good marketing by
> > GNU/Linux distributors (which I don't consider to be a bad thing).
>
> I and all I know uses Linux over any other operating system, including Hurd,
> for technical reasons, not because it has a cooler name (and I don't know
> about that) or it's fashion...
>
> It's for being good that it is being adopted by the industry and business.
>
> After all, Microsoft has better marketing than all Linux companies put
> together, and still it hasn't been able to stop Linux's growth.

But Linux hasn't stopped microsoft either. And if I look at Linux and
the Hurd, how they are technical and how the development goes, I think
the Hurd has more potential than Linux. The Hurd is really stabilizing
at the moment, I don't expect a stable 2.6/3.0 Linux in the next 2
years.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org