What do to about BitKeeper and the Linux Kernel (was: BitKeeper licence critic)

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Fri Mar 8 22:54:05 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:06:49PM +0000, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> > > I don't think that saying Linux is badly done and technically a disaster,
> >
> > Should I lie to give Linux credit?
> Surely not. But then, Linux's success has proved you wrong.

Sure, but that doesn't make it technically good. But there is sure one
thing Linus really should get credit: Open Development, i.e. "release
often, release early" thing. That's one of the biggest mistakes of the
Hurd, the development wasn't open in the beginning.

> > I give credit to Linux for whatever they do. From my point of view
> > they took away the people from the Hurd and caused that GNU isn't as
> > known in the community as it should be.
> Linux's use makes GNU to be known as well. Also, you claim that it took
> people from the Hurd, when they weren't on Hurd to begin with...

You're right. But certainly everybody is hacking GNU/Linux and not
GNU/Hurd. I think it's likely that those people would have been
hacking GNU/Hurd now if Linux didn't exist.

> Linux brought people and developers to Free Software, people that didn't do
> that just for Hurd's sake.

GNU/Linux did that, not Linux on its own. Sure, Linux did a big job,
but not on its own and I don't believe Linux could have do it without
GNU.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org