What do to about BitKeeper and the Linux Kernel (was: BitKeeper licence critic)

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 8 22:44:50 UTC 2002

Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen at dekkers.cx> wrote:
> IMHO Linux is already a high-profile snub for Free Software and GNU.

Why?  Without it, GNU softwares would not have as many users as they do.

> The whole BK thing is just another reason to dislike Linux for
> me. (Most of the other reasons are technical)

If you're talking general about the microkernel vs hybrid-monolithic, isn't
that debate still open?  In *theory* micro should win, but in practice, most
of the successful ones are hybrids at the moment.

If you're talking about general crap in some of the code, then I'm sure
certain pieces of GNU software can be found to have the same...

["BK is open source" comment]
> I don't read the Linux mailinglist, but I can understand that it would
> cause a lot of problems.

Me neither, but it was amusing ;-)

> I would also like to warn you that the current version of the Hurd
> isn't really useful in a production environment. There are going to
> happen big changes in the near future which would really improve the
> system.

I guess this is why there aren't more users.  Can you point me to a good
starting point for finding out more, warts and all?

> Our biggest problem is manpower [...]

Well, it is difficult to help without a system to help on.  Does there exist
something similar to Xnest or User Mode Linux to test on?  Can any of the
virtual machine solutions host it?  Are there people in experience in
running it like that?

--