BitKeeper licence critic

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.yi.org
Fri Mar 8 21:26:19 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:10:51PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> And what if Linus likes BK and just doesn't release prepatches anymore
> and just refers to the BK repository?
What? The prepatches noone used because they are so experimental?
Still, I get your point, but if there will be a time when Linus wont release
those patches I can hardly believe the main reason will be BK.

> I go against all free software developers wanting to use
> sourceforgetit already, saying that savannah is really a better
> option.
And did you stopped using those programs?

> According to my knowledge vi (at least some implementations)
> and mozilla are free.
So is Linux. And I'm not sure about vi, I could only find a draft of
a licence that wasn't sure about being GPL compatible.
Yet, my point was that Mozilla is ported to run on Windows. Should Free
software developers do that? And most of those developers program on
Windows (that's why Mozilla is faster and better in Win32 than any other
platform). Shouldn't we just stopping using Mozilla?

> Free software developers shouldn't use non-free software and promote
> free software IMHO.
By developing free software they're promoting free software. By personally
using some not-so-free (not free, anyway) software they don't start
promoting non-free against free software.

> My biggest reasons for not staying with Linux are technical.
And the biggest reasons for Linux being widely used are technical, as
are the biggest reasons for Hurd not being widely used nor developed upon...

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

Luciano Rocha, strange at nsk.yi.org

The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what
you want.
                -- D. Cohen