What do to about BitKeeper and the Linux Kernel (was: BitKeeper licence critic)

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.yi.org
Fri Mar 8 21:07:05 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 07:26:25PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> I don't see why I should even care about Linux and especially Linus at
> all. Personally, I just help finishing the GNU system instead of
> caring about the GNU/Linux variant. I don't see why people supporting
> free software want to get associated with some bunch of people
> promoting non-free software, use the term open source and try to get
> all the credits themself for writing an operating system.
Since when? Their product is a free kernel, they never claimed to
produce a complete operating system. Don't confuse the errors of
some people with the developers of the Linux Kernel.

> They don't give credits to the biggest part of the operating system,
> GNU, a part that is such important that without it Linux wasn't even
> possible.
They don't because they don't produce full operating systems.
They don't because the Linux Kernel doesn't require GNU in order to
function.
They don't because GNU and some ppl like you don't give credit to Linux.

I'm sick of this...

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

Luciano Rocha, strange at nsk.yi.org

The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what
you want.
                -- D. Cohen