BitKeeper licence critic

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Fri Mar 8 17:53:10 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:01:08PM +0000, John Tapsell wrote:

> Hi,
>   Out of curiosity - what would the best solution be in your opinions for BK?
>   If we take the assumptions: (and feel free to challenge them constructively)
>   1) that if BK isn't used, then development is slower for the kernel.
>   2) If BK made is Free then they would get vastly reduced amount of business
> (or rather money from their product) so wouldn't be able to work on it half
> as much.

Those assumptions are bad.

Just two possible things to do without reducing freedom:

1) Help developping software whose authors care about freedom and
   software which has a better design that makes developping
   easier, i.e. the Hurd.
2) Use free version version control software for developping Linux,
   add missing features to the existing ones or create new free
   version controlling software.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org