BitKeeper licence critic // was ... license critic

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Thu Mar 7 12:04:57 UTC 2002

>From discussion-admin at fsfeurope.org Thu Mar  7 07:56:51 2002

>> Is there anything we can practically do to change the bk decision? It looks
>> like bk has raised more than enough technical problems of its own.  Maybe
>> Aegis solves some of them?  Aegis also have problems marketing themselves.
>> PDF manuals, really, in this day and age!  ;_)

>IMHO, its pointless persuing this - linus knows the BK guys quite well (from
>what it seems).   And while I sympathise with people that say its isn't Free,
>its is free as in money, and the developers will implement any sensible ideas
>people suggest, and have stated several times that it is a very complex bit
>of software, far more complex than say the kernel.  This requires a full time
>staff to develop it, and they are being paid to develop it by companies that
>require such a software - the BK people are trying to give the best of both
>worlds, and I personally wish them the best of luck.

>But on the otherhand I realise the danger (whatif BK 'goes bad' when we are
>all dependant etc)  but they have added clauses that it will go GPL if they
>go out of business, etc etc. and are trying to counter most of the usual bad
>points.

It helps to visit the BK web site and read first hand information before
writing mail that is based on estimations....

BK will bekome GPL if openlogging.org goes offline for 90+ days.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling