abiword

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 6 22:32:07 UTC 2002

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 09:55:44PM +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
>   I participate in AbiWord as pt_PT locale maintainer and rpm packager.
>   I have recently understood that there are several issues where I feel
> that we're not using gpl properly, partly in the same way as the 3dsmax
> plugins.

Note that this is a complicated subject.
Many missunderstandings are around,
and in borderline case, little facts and make a huge difference.

>   1. AbiWord is released under the GNU GPL version 2.0 or greater.

Good. :)

>   2. AbiWord is multiplatform
>   2.1 on windows it links against MSCVRT.DLL

This should be fine as this can be considered part of the operating system.
IIRC what this library does.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WritingFSWithNFLibs
| 	    If the libraries that you link with falls within the
| following exception in the GPL:
|
| However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need
| not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source
| or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so
| on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless
| that component itself accompanies the executable.
|
|     then you don't have to do anything special to use them. In other
| words, if the libraries you need come with major parts of a
| proprietary operating system, the GPL says people can link your
| program with them.

>   2.2 on mac os x it links against cocoa dylibs.

Seems to be the same case.

>   3. Abiword links with ImageMagick
>      License: freeware *

The license I get with the apt-get source imagemagic on my
Debian System seems to be of Xfree86. Thus compatible with
the GNU GPL. This means that there is no problem,
the whole work (abiword) can just be distributed under GPL.

>   4. A gpl plugin that integrates a (this is what worries me the most
> because here I am sure there is a problem) non free grammar checker (it
> forbids commercial use without authorization):
>      http://www.link.cs.cmu.edu/link/

This could be the only problem that I can see.
Thus I would agree with the person who thinks that
the non-free grammer checker cannot be used.

> worse than that, is the attached irc log

I can see persons in a heated chat
and quite a lot of missunderstandings about the GNU GPL, Free Software.

Maybe the GNU GPL FAQ or this email can help.
	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

I think that calm explainations and pointer to good references
will help to clear the confusion.