Software patents on Europe

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Mar 2 15:43:14 UTC 2002

Hi Eneko,

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 11:52:05AM +0100, Eneko Lacunza wrote:
> 	I don't know whether FSF Europe is taking active efforts on this
> matter,

We do. Of course we always need help with this.

Resistance against software patents is organised through
many channels where people of the fsfe coreteam spend quite some time.
The FSFE supports groups like FFII and Eurolinux in their fight
against software patents.

Recent actions of the where the panel discussions at f.sdem in Brüssels
and the spread of background information on the PR of the directive.

> but I thought you'd like to know that spanish group Hispalinux,
> with more than 1 thousand members, is meeting some spanish goverment
> representatives during the current month.

> 	The issues that will be discussing are: web accessibility on goverment
> sites, Free Software in the goverment and of course, european software
> patents and their evilness.

This is very helpful.  Thanks.

> 	This won't be the first time this kind of contacts happen, as
> previously have been contacts for free software users to be able to do
> their tax "declaration"
> digitally
> A web based solution is being developed by the goverment thanks to
> Hispalinux requests, so that Free Software users can complete the task
> digitally (online).

Congratulations for sucessfully explaining the need of users for freedom.