GPL and Author law

Rudy Gevaert rudy at zeus.rug.ac.be
Tue Jun 25 08:40:11 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 12:25:47PM +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet writes:
>  > The GPL is based on US copyright, and so (like US copyright law)
>  > pretty much ignores moral rights and the Berne Convention except
>  > where convenient.
>
> 	The GNU GPL was written with the Berne convention in mind.
> Focusing on US law only would have defeated its international
> applicability.  It does not talk about moral rights because there is
> no need to.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question.  I haven't had the
time to read mr. Jaeger his paper (due to exams), but after reading the
thread can I say: when using the GPL you can still benefit from the
moral laws (appealing in your country)?

Thus so it overrules the GPL?  E.g I write the code for a webforum, then
I can take action against a rascist website using my forum?

Thanks in advance,
--
Rudy Gevaert - rudy at zeus.rug.ac.be  - http://www.zeus.rug.ac.be
keyserverID=24DC49C6 -  http://www.webworm.org