Copyright law in germany

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 10 16:56:51 UTC 2002

Most of the information available is in German.

ifrOSS has published their statements to the German Ministry of Justice:
 http://www.ifross.de/ifross_html/publikation.html

The one in question should be:
	http://www.ifross.de/ifross_html/urhebervertragsrecht.pdf

There was a heise news about this, too.
Apard from this many people did not notice as it was not a high
profile action. The FSFE was only inofficially involved you could say.
Still there was a significant influence.

It is a good example where we can influence political decisions
in favour for Free Software in a very effective way.
There were personal and private conversations with people involved
in the legislative process and just a bit more understanding by them
lead to the law not wreaking avoc to Free Software in the end.
Needless to say that getting the old draft in law would have meant
a big obstable for Free Software in Germany.
The problem was eliminated before it became written in law,
because we got aware of it early enough in the process.