(no subject)

Tycho Fruru tycho at fruru.com
Tue Jul 30 11:18:40 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 13:01, Rudolf Henze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ive had recently a strange e-mail discussion about GPL.
> The other person hold the view that every new program under the GPL
> increases the might of Richard Stallman.

I think this person is perhaps mis-informed.

> Because there is a clause in the GPL with the meaning that if a new version
> of the GPL is out, the new version has validity for the old software.
> Sounds unbelievable for me.

Read this (as found on http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html), it's part
of the recommended way of applying GPL to your programs :

"This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version."

Note the "(at your option)".  So, the rights given to you by GPLv2
cannot be taken away by newer versions of the GPL, you can simply choose
to continue to be bound by GPLv2 only.

Best regards,
Tycho

Tycho Fruru			                tycho at fruru.com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."
  - Niels Bohr