Changing OPL-options allowed?

Alexandre Dulaunoy alex at conostix.com
Fri Jul 26 06:29:38 UTC 2002

For your information : http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Open Publication License, Version 1.0.
    This license can be used as a free documentation license. It is a
copyleft free documentation license provided the copyright holder does not
exercise any of the "LICENSE OPTIONS" listed in Section VI of the license.
But if either of the options is invoked, the license becomes non-free.

    This creates a practical pitfall in using or recommending this
license: if you recommend ``Use the Open Publication License, Version 1.0
but don't enable the options'', it would be easy for the second half of
that recommendation to get forgotten; someone might use the license with
the options, making a manual non-free, and yet think he is following your
advice.

    Likewise, if you use this license without either of the options to
make your manual free, someone else might decide to imitate you, then
change his mind about the options thinking that that is just a detail; the
result would be that his manual is non-free.

    Thus, while manuals published under this license do qualify as free
documentation if neither license option was used, it is better to use the
GNU Free Documentation License and avoid the risk of leading someone else
astray.

    Please note that this license is not the same as the Open Content
License.
These two licenses are frequently confused, as the Open Content License is
often referred to as the "OPL". For clarity, it is better not to use the
abbreviation ``OPL'' for either license. It is worth spelling their names
in full to make sure people understand what you say.