Distributing binary-only CDs

Martin Schulze joey at infodrom.org
Wed Jul 24 17:49:58 UTC 2002

Hi,

I recently started a discussion[1] on the debian-legal mailing list
and tried to gain consensus about the requirements of commercial and
non-commercial distributors of binary-only CDs containing software
which is licensed using the GNU GPL[2].  Distributing only binary
components and not the source is quite common these days, even though
some distributors still distribute both.  For example think of Litrux,
Lindows, Knoppix, non-official Debian CDs that are handed out during
LinuxTag, CDs enclosed in computer magazines etc.

I've compiled a document[3] in which I've explained the corresponding
bits of the GNU GPL and concluded with advice and additional
information.

I would be glad if some of you could take a glance at it and drop me a
line when my/our interpretation or advice is wrong or needs an update.

Thanks a lot,

       Joey

Links:

 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal-0207/msg00192.html
 2. http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
 3. http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/legal

--
Long noun chains don't automatically imply security.  -- Bruce Schneier