Advocating the Open Publication License easier?

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jul 20 00:30:42 UTC 2002

Wouter Vanden Hove <Wouter.Vanden.Hove at pandora.be> wrote:
> If you save a World-file as ascii, then how does an integral from 1 to
> infinity look like? Word does contain an equation editor, doesn't it ? I
> have some courses with a lot of equations, which certainly don't look
> like TeX,everything points in the direction of Word-made.

OK, these are maths courses?  That's news.  Well, if they're using Word for
such important data, they need hitting with the pointy sticks before they
get too far down that path and slide towards data loss.  I'm not sure
whether OpenOffice.org is good at converting the equations.  Has anyone
tried it?  All my lecturers used TeX, as far as I remember.

Anyway, in the worst case, maybe you can convince them to slowly move over
and write new material in a transparent format?  That's essential for almost
any copyleft to be used properly, I think.
--
MJR|  Scheme is an easy language with few rules. No1: Most things are
---'  either a value like 13 or "hello", or a list of a function name
      and some parameters eg (display "hello")    // www.schemers.org
|-----[ Luminas internet applications http://www.luminas.co.uk/ ]-----|