European administrations should share software resources

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri Jul 12 15:25:16 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 04:19:18PM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 16:24, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 02:55:32AM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > > copyright does not "protect" ideas, only specific implementations.
> > That's the whole point, right? Unfourtunately a freely expressed idea can be
> > improved in a proprietary way, which is not something I can wish for.
> You say you would like Patents to "protect" ideas?
> I would disagree heartedly.

Good gracious, no, where could/did you ever get idea from? Please, care
to reread the sentence... :)

> Free Software have as a goal to spread information and ideas,
> restricting ideas is very illiberal.

I don't like to have positive developments over information or ideas
being taken away intentionally to gain more profit. So there has to be
some restricting. Since we live in a world of copyright, copyleft
(specially in the form of the GNU GPL) is perfect. I'd rather we didn't
have the need to use GPL, though it's currently the only way to stop the
harmfull appropriation :|

> > Quantity is hardly ever a good measure (and yes, I know of the saying:
> > if brute force does not solve your problem, you're not using enough!)
> not may way to do things, I dislike violence (natural consequence of
> brute force).

Argh, does one have to carefully place a smiley in every sentence in
order to have some pun appreciated?

Peachy,