European administrations should share software resources

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Fri Jul 12 14:19:18 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 16:24, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 02:55:32AM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > copyright does not "protect" ideas, only specific implementations.
>
> That's the whole point, right? Unfourtunately a freely expressed idea can be
> improved in a proprietary way, which is not something I can wish for.

You say you would like Patents to "protect" ideas?
I would disagree heartedly.

Free Software have as a goal to spread information and ideas,
restricting ideas is very illiberal.

> 340 loc can express quite complex ideas that may take hundreds of years
> to prove... :) so I disagree with the 'easy analisys' point of view.

What I mean is that you can study and implement it in another way, even
if you do not understand exactly all the implications, however in such
case of complexity you can easily put it into GPL, I think 340 Loc are
enough to be protected.

> Quantity is hardly ever a good measure (and yes, I know of the saying:
> if brute force does not solve your problem, you're not using enough!)

not may way to do things, I dislike violence (natural consequence of
brute force).

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399