Unpublished GPL Software

Marc SCHAEFER schaefer at alphanet.ch
Thu Jul 11 10:15:04 UTC 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Luca Andreucci wrote:

>   Now let's say another user gets his hands on the source code without
> the original author's knowledge and/or permit, and starts distributing it.

I would say it depends how it happens. If the file was deposited on a
public access WWW server, then, yes, the license to apply would be GPL.

If the user broke into a computer, then he has no right to distribute the
software he stole in any case, since he got hands on it by breaking the
law.

I am no lawyer, though, but the above seems common sense.