European administrations should share software resources

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jul 9 18:44:58 UTC 2002

By the time this reaches all of you, it's probably not the first time
you have read about it.

http://europa.eu.int/ISPO/ida/jsps/index.jsp?fuseAction=showDocument&parent=news&documentID=550

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

European administrations should share software resources, a report
published by IDA says

IDA has released the results of an independent study on promoting the
re-use of software owned by public administrations. The study recommends
the creation of a software clearing house to which administrations can
"donate" software. This facility, which would concentrate on
applications specific for the needs of the public sector, could
encourage the replication of good practice in eGovernment services.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I haven't had a lot of time, and I've just skimmed the terminology and
legal approach parts of the document.

In the terminology section, they explain several terms and give a short
sermon on the OSI and the FSF over the discussion the best term to be
used.

Evidently, throughout the document, the 'opensource' term is what seemed
to be accepted.

It bothers me a little that to explain what is Free Software they resort
to list the DFSG and just provide a link to the Free Software
definition.

It also says: 'But if you really INCLUDE significant parts of copylefted
code in your software, this software must be redistributed under the
same license.' providing the GPL as an example.

I don't know if this documents can (or how easily) be revised, but at
least this should be rephrased... it's not just a significant part but
any part. Whoever does not like it, does not have to use it... if they
lost 5000 man/days/month to develop something, they can very well loose
the 10 man/days/month that represents the certain smaller and non
significant part they want to include, for instance.

I'm sure there are more little problems here and there, but what little
I've read seems to indicate that this document may be a very positive
step towards the future.

Hugs, rui

+ So let's do it...?