(C) yyyy Joerg Schilling (was: Re: your mail) (fwd)

Alexandre Dulaunoy alex at conostix.com
Sat Jan 26 16:51:55 UTC 2002

On 26 Jan 2002, Alex Hudson wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 22:24, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > You see the (c)? That's *your* legal protection against people stealing
> > > your code. The GPL only grants people extra rights, which they wouldn't
> > > have if only the (c) was there.
> >
> > I don't think that in German law, you have to claim copyright in order
> > to have it.  Quite the contrary---you can't get rid of it even if you
> > want to.
>
> Same here (UK) - copyright automatically belongs to the author (unless
> this is changed under a contract - for example, if you're an employee of
> a software company). However, in the UK you're allowed to buy and sell
> copyright like any other commodity.
>
> I think MJR is right with regards the (C) thing - you're supposed to
> write out the whole thing if you can't do a proper circle around it,
> i.e. Copyright XXXX The Author

If I remember correctly : The convention of Bern is taking care about the
author right. Major country has signed this convention. So every author
got the right for his creation.

As the GPL is using the copyright, the strict application of the Bern
convention is ok. You should apply the copyright notice but it's not a
obligation. The only thing to do : you must proove that you are the author
of the software. (quite easy with publication...)

alx

Alexandre Dulaunoy			adulau at conostix.com
					http://www.conostix.com/