(no subject)

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Fri Jan 25 20:29:26 UTC 2002

>From: Laurent Guerby <guerby at acm.org>

>It is my understanding of the GPL, it keeps freedom for user receiving
>the binary to get the source from the people that gave them
>the binary if some part of it was GPLed.

>It does not prevent someone to take a GPL source, change/extend/merge it to
>produce a binary for his/her own use and never release their work to
>anyone as long
>as there is no distribution of the binary.

>There are companies that port GCC to their own processor for their own use,
>such ports will never be made available, this is perfectly
>within the GPL granted rights and the FSF is well aware of this.

>A license forcing anyone using your source to disclose all changes
>is against what I believe the FSF fights for.

I don't know what you did understand from PGL, but GPL definitely states
that if you modify source _and_ make it available in binary form you need
to undisclose the complete source too (which includes your changes).

I don't know what FSF currently fights for, in former times they definitely
did fight for what I noted in the paragraph above.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling