GPL lawsuit in Germany

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Fri Jan 25 15:27:51 UTC 2002

>From: Georg Jakob <jack at unix.sbg.ac.at>

>There is *no* Copyright in Europe. In most european countries we have the
>concept of Authors Rights. Difference in a Nutshell: Copyright is
>protecting the editor or publisher of a work, ie his (monetary) investment
>in producing copys. That's why it's called "Copyright".

The official translation for "Urheberecht" unfortunately _is_ "Copyright".
However this is bad as Copyright is only a part of what I call
"Authorship Right". "Authorship Right" cannot be transferreed.

And this is one of the big problems when taling to FSF in USA.
They generally like you to transfer the Copyright to FSF wich cannot be done
as long as you write the contract on English because this language does not
have the right words to express the real factual situation.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling