GPL lawsuit in Germany

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Thu Jan 24 23:41:20 UTC 2002

On Qui, 2002-01-24 at 23:19, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >From joao at silvaneves.org Thu Jan 24 23:32:34 2002
> >On Qui, 2002-01-24 at 22:17, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> If someone abuses your code you may sue this person and will get you right in a
> way so the abusing person hast to give you money later (enforced by the court).
> This is because you cannot enforce a license agreement if not both parties
> agreed on it.

(I'm assuming that Germany autorship/copyright law has something in
common with the USA, Portuguese and Spanish ones. I'm almost convinced
that's not always so...)

Authorship law in Portugal defines that you can't modify the work
protected by copyright unless the author has given you permission to do
so. This means that they are in one of 2 positions: They didn't asked
for your permission, and so they've commited a crime, or they've
accepted the GPL as your permission and, by not obliging to it, they've
also commited a crime. Obviously I'm not a lawyer, just an engineer who
has read too many legislation (including some international "copyright"
treaties).

--
						Joao Miguel Neves