Meeting with a political person

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Jan 19 21:22:25 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 07:28:44PM +0100, Loic Dachary wrote:
> [France specific but in english to share with everyone]

Loïc,
thanks for the report and the effort.

I have a small remark regarding political strategy
in the software patent field:

> My friend suggested to compare the software patents issue to the
> genome patent issue.

IMO this point has to be handled very carefully.

The serious information really shows that software patents
do not help to reward the group investing and producing innovations.

As for patents in the area of pharmaceutical industrie
the discussion and research is not completely done.
Thus the fear of an unfair system with patents in the area
is as justified, but experiences and research currently
make it less well known as the software patent field.

If we make both points together there is a small danger that
the danger of software patents will be underestimated.

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)