MobiliX.org: severe charge with trademark issues by "Asterix and Obelix"

Florian Weimer Weimer at CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Wed Jan 9 21:11:15 UTC 2002

"Friedrich Lindenberg" <frlind at gmx.net> writes:

> I really don't understand why someone tries this hard to stop the
> development of the Open-Source movement and other on-line groups.

You have enforce trademarks, otherwise they become diluted and
worthless.

Actually, this is a good aspect of trademark law: In theory, it is not
possible to delay enforcing the trademark until a substantial amount
of technology has been deployed.  With patents, there is no such
requirement, and as a result, we regularly see delayed enforcing of
patents.

Of course, skilled people can try to push the limits of the legal
system, for whatever reason they choose.

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Weimer at CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/