MobiliX.org: severe charge with trademark issues by "Asterix and Obelix"

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Wed Jan 9 16:49:09 UTC 2002

On Qua, 2002-01-09 at 12:25, Werner Heuser wrote:
> Werner Heuser author of Linux on the Road ( A Guide for Laptops and
> PDAs) has been charged with trademark issues by the owner of the
> trademarks for Asterix and Obelix "Les Editions Albert Rene" (Paris).
> The name of his website MobiliX.org is supposed to be
> mistaken for Obelix.

There's something I don't understand here. When you register a trademark
you're supposed to define classes of products and/or services for your
trademark. The classification used in Europe is in
http://classifications.wipo.int/fulltext/nice8/enmain.htm.

Do you know what class(es) they have registered ?

One protective measure you could take would be to register "MobiliX" as
a trademark in class 41 or 42 (those seem to me to be the better ones).
If your name was a trademark it would mean that the trademark office has
found that there are no conflicts with existing trademarks, so it could
also help a court case.

Obviously this should be discussed with your lawyer (IANAL).

	Good luck,

--
						Joao Miguel Neves