Bitkeeper in Linuxdevelopment :(

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Thu Feb 7 17:25:52 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 05:52:31PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From jeroen at dekkers.cx Thu Feb  7 16:46:40 2002
>
> >On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:05:38PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >> The result is that there is only CVS which cannot be called free.
>
> >Am I missing something? AFAIK CVS is completely free.
>
> Yup, you are missing the difference between free beer and freedom.

AFAIK the CVS program is free (as in free speech).

> While the CVD program is free, it does not give me the needed freedom.

What freedom?

> Please note: in the 1980s CVS has been free only for universities.

I didn't know that. But if I'm right it's free

> 		The CVS authors did create a script that converts SCCS
> 		history fiules into RCS history files but not vice
> 		versa.
>
> If I would have beeen interested to test CVS and later would find that I
> don't like it, I would not have the freedom to convert back to SCCS.

I don't see why that makes CVS non-free. You've the freedom to
convert. You have the CVS source. The fact that nobody thinks that
changing back to the (AFAIK non-free) SCCS system is worthwile to
write a script for doesn't make CVS non-free. It doesn't prevent you
from writing such a script.

> Bitkeeper SCCS has other limitations in freedom of use but I see no reason
> why CVS should be any better.
>
> Bitkeeper comes with source, you may use it for free if you send all delta logs
> to openlog.org ??. You are allowed to modify it if the result passes the
> regression test and if openlog.org is down for more then 3 months ??
> then it becomes GPL'd.
>
> From the point of usability, there is more freedom for a bitkeeper user than
> for a CVS user.

I can't modify the bitkeeper code and redistribute the modified
version. I can do that with CVS. And that's why CVS is free software
and bitkeeper isn't. And that's why bitkeeper is useless for me.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects