http://creativecommons.org/ - what are they?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Dec 17 11:01:25 UTC 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:48:55 +0100, Jan Wildeboer said:

> But they use (AFAIK) new licenses that I have never read before.

We are mostly in the Software game and as such we have somewhat
different goals.  Music, literature, etc. have different properties
and need other licenses.

> - is this trying to compete with the GNU/GPL?

I don't think so.  The GPL is designed for software and as you know it
is often more approriate to use even a different license for
documentation.

> - is this good for the Free Software movement? I guess not, but that's MHO.

Creating awareness in copyright issues is definitely a Good Thing and
presents the non-software people (which are most people on this earth)
an alternative way of thinking and acting.  Yes, I think this
initiative will have positive effects on Free Software too.  I may
take it even 8 miles higher ;-)

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner