That anti-patent pamphlet I mentioned

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Mon Dec 16 23:08:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 19:05, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> In my view we already live in this society, because today you
> *can* patent any practical implementation of technology. I
> personally do not think this has a significant impact on my
> personal freedom.

Because you are looking at your feet instead of looking at the street in
front of you. If you put a fencing around you, and everyone else do the
same but look at your feet you seem to be ok, but once you rise your
eyes you may see that you cannot be nowhere because everything is
blocked now.
By letting people patenting everything you simple make it impossible to
move.

> I think my definition does not encompass the abstract and the
> pure logic, because those are not practical realizations. A
> device implementing the abstract, or operating according to
> certain logic would be patentable.

If you make it impossible to reuse the same pure logic if you have a
patent that cover a practical implementation of that pure logic, than
the effect is like patenting the pure logic ... that's ... well ...
logic!

regards,
Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399