The Journey (Resan)

Marcus Rejås marcus at rejas.se
Mon Dec 16 21:45:23 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:50:18PM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:

> Basically yes. I'm just afraid that a CD with 100% free and also
> "patent-free" software will not be very popular, especially since
> even the Linux Kernel is not fully GPL-compliant due to what I heared.
>
> Also, if you want to include the sources on the CD, you should calculate
> that about 66% of the CD will be occupied by (obsoleted very fast)
> sources, which nobody who is not already involved in Free Software
> would want or understand. That limits the amount of usable programs
> on the CD very much.
>
> I would opt for a DVD release in the case that you really want to
> include the sources on the same medium. The GPL does not require
> you to do this and offers different options.

I get your point. Thank you for the information. I want to make a point
by actually having the source on the CD (or extra CD) so that the user,
even it he or she can't and won't look at it, can see that it is there.
I'm also aware that there are different options offered by the GPL. In
the end there might be no sources on the medium.

> I'm just not sure about the "average user of
> non-free operating systems who would like to switch". If this CD
> should promote Free Software, it has to contain a lot of stuff
> that users of proprietary systems expect from a new OS.
>
> Remember: Most people have no interest in "philosophy" and don't
> even care about licenses or legality, for that matter.

I am aware of that. That is one thing I would like to change by
offereing an interesting journey with information about free software.
I'm interested in it. This project might make it easier for the user to
find the information and get some good programs while reading it.

> > - Does this already exist?
>
> Not that I would know of. But Bernhard Reiter from the FSF europe had
> once asked a similar question, you may want to include him on the list
> (if he is not already reading it).

He has read this ;-)

Thank you very much for your input.

  /Marcus