The Journey (Resan)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Dec 16 20:21:16 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 07:20:53PM +0100, Marcus Rejås wrote:
> We at the Swedish Linux association[1] have a advocacy group that
> promotes free software, not just Linux as the name of our association
> might indicate, but free software in general, in Sweden.

Advocating a kernel also is quite tedious at times
as most people are only interested in a real operating system... :)

> We really like the OpenCD[2] and the Knoppix[3] GNU/Linux distribution.
> We think they are great help when promoting free software. They both
> make it really easy for new users to try free software at ease in their
> own homes on their own computers without the hassle many feels about
> installing a new operating system on their computer.

Please note that current versions of Knoppix
still contain non-free Software.
If you want to base your work on Knoppix you have to take good care
to add the freedom to it first.

(Check ftp://ftp.intevation.de/users/bernhard/free_software_knoppix/
which is a draft description to produce what I call "Free Software Knoppix".)

> What we want to do is a CD (or other medium) that doesn't
> only contain free software but also information about the free software
> movement. All the way from its birth to the present. By doing this we
> hope to place each program in a wider perspective and describe not only
> what it is but also why it was written and maybe why it looks/works like
> it does. Everything within the path of the journey.

> - Do you think this is this a good idea?

Yes.
We need more documentation about the Free Software movement anyway.
To use applications and their story to work towards the bigger
picture as the potential of being an approach that picks up the user
were he currently stands.

> - Does this already exist?

I'm not aware of such a project.

> - Does my English make sense?