That anti-patent pamphlet I mentioned

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope at nedprod.com
Tue Dec 10 09:19:22 UTC 2002

On 9 Dec 2002 at 17:15, xdrudis at tinet.org wrote:

> I forgot to thank you for your article and say it is good and needed
> overall, I think I must have sounded as just crticising, sorry.

Not at all, you were very constructive and my thanks for that.

> > Out of interest, how many EPO software patents are held by European
> > companies?
> >
> Almost all the remaining 37%, I guess, like 11000 or so?
> But this are estimations only, mind you. Software patents are not
> classified as such as the EPO for easy counting.

Actually Germany has the largest quantity.

That perl script is all well and good, but I looked through the
patents myself and most of them I personally wouldn't describe as
pure software patents ie; I'd foresee difficulty applying them to
software. But I have no legal training, so I probably can't say.

> > > - link to http://petition.eurolinux.org
> >
> > This link never works for me. Rest of eurolinux is fine but not that
> > particular one. BSA interference? ;)
> >
> I don't think so. Maybe maintenance or something ¿?¿?¿?¿?

Well if so it's down for a lot of maintainence over a period of at
least a year. I have signed it, but it took many tries over a three
month period to be successful.

> I'll try to read it tonight, but I wonder if it's necessary, it will
> surely be quite good.

You'll all be glad to know contractoruk will publish it early next
year. Thanks to all who helped.

Cheers,
Niall