ATTN: Brasilian state aproves "opensource" law

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Dec 9 16:48:23 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:56:40PM +0100, Ludovic PĂ©net wrote:
> > > Quite, and therefore not completely libre. Please - I don't care one
> > > way or another except that government sponsored projects should be
> > > BSD licence as they came from public money. I'm simply saying how
> > > others can see things.
> >
> > The GNU GPL is the strongest protection for Free Softwae we have.
> > Thus it is completely libre/free.
> >
> > Its like with human rights, you are saying:
> > Being allowed to own slaves makes a society more free.
> I can't see the relation between your quote and copyleft...
> I can't see how using a BSD license can enslave me.

It is an analogy.

In not allowing slaves (restricting rights to have slaves)
you actually ensure the human right and bring more freedom overall.

Thus restricting individual rights can bring more freedom in principle.
Restricting individuals rights to not restrict people
is not really substracting freedom.

This general concept is quite known in other fields and also works
for Free Software.