My alternative busines model

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 9 12:18:51 UTC 2002

Niall Douglas <s_fsfeurope at nedprod.com> wrote:
> It takes on quasi-religious characteristics, as evidenced in the
> flame wars between GNOME and KDE. Modern politics don't even remotely
> evoke that kind of passion.

Huh?  There have been fairly few Gnome/KDE flamewars.  What you will find is
a load of fanboys sitting comfortably behind the anonymity of their screens,
throwing ill-considered invective into newsgroups and mailing lists,
thinking that it's always good to support their football^Wdesktop team.
Meanwhile, the actual Gnome and KDE projects (and others such as XFCE,
GNUstep, etc) ignore the nits, talk to each other, look at each other's work
and draft common standards such as the ones at http://www.freedesktop.org/

[...]
> The most common characteristic of a cult is violent intolerance of
> heresy ie; slight differences of opinion over the orthodox. If you
> look in google groups at the flame wars, you see plenty of that -
> you're either 100% with us, or 100% against us.

This is rubbish.  I am known to disagree vehemently with the received wisdom
on a couple of points, but I seem to be generally welcome.  When you will
get a major problem is if you start arguing for something that will not
achieve our aims, such as your "new" licence for software.

[snip]

MJR