ISP-contracts versus GPL-freedoms

Wouter Vanden Hove wouter.vandenhove at rug.ac.be
Sun Dec 8 01:56:19 UTC 2002

Hi,
I wonder what kind of internet-connection/ISP you guys have, especially
the ones that claim to run only Free Software.

I've got cable, and I want to have GPL-freedoms as much as possible, but
I can only get an internet-connection which restricts my rights.

For example I'm allowed to download 8.5 GB a month, and 1.5 upload a
month. I don't need that much, but my IPS forbids me to use any software
that act as a server. I'am not even allowed to login to my own machine,
because ssh'ing to my machine makes my machine a ssh-server. Of course
also no Apache, FTP, Sendmail, Gnutella, MySQL, CVS, Kepler
[http://kepler.cs.odu.edu/ ]...

If my upload is restricted, and the speed of the upload is already
articifically limited, why shouldn't we then not be allowed to login to
our own machine? What good is it to have a 24h/24h internet-connection
if you're not allowed to use its basic functionalities?

Freedom zero: "The freedom to run the program, for any purpose".
But with what ISP?

Wouter Vanden Hove