My alternative busines model

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Fri Dec 6 02:00:51 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 22:54, Niall Douglas wrote:
> Information, because of its wide extant and subjective nature, is
> completely useless without an observer. You could even say all data
> in a computer is mostly useless except for the fact we humans
> consider it valuable. To a computer program, it processes information
> which may consist of pure information, other software or mathematical
> formulae. But it does not know the intrinsic *value* of the
> information past those three basic groupings.

Sorry but I do not get how this statement take you to the following
conclusions.
You say: Information, is completely useless without an observer.
And also: a computer program does not know the intrinsic *value* of the
information.
On my opinion also a computer program is completely useless without
observers (with a broad meaning for the term observer) and the fact that
a computer program do not know the intrinsic value of the information
does not make it different from information, information does not know
anything about itself either. In this regard a computer program is a lot
like an algorithm which is also in part information (even if it is valid
without observers).

> Hence why software != algorithms != information.

So my idea is: software ~ algorithms ~ information

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399