Capaigning against software patents

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.org
Thu Dec 5 00:25:58 UTC 2002

El Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:28:47AM +0100, Jan Wildeboer deia:
> Niall Douglas wrote:
>
> >There are some very cheap ways to get accurate figures. One would be
> >to send a short questionaire to software companies asking if they
> >feel software patents will cost them (obviously you include
> >documentation explaining them - preferably with a pro and con
> >section).

This is not cheap either in time or money. And we only have some weeks,
I guess.
Anyway, we already have some 400 societites having signed the
petition at http://petition.eurolinux.org, and some 130000 individuals.

There was a consultation by the Commission (and others elsewhere).
91 % of replies were against swpats,  but they don't seem to care
http://swpat.ffii.org/vreji/papri/eukonsult00/

> >Obviously this would require some money for postage. It duplicates
> >making them aware of the issue though, so it's well spent.
>
> Why not contact them via email and provide some links? They are software
> companies after all ...
>
> A decent and well-written template could be a good result of this
> interesting discussion.

You may be interested in http://swpat.ffii.org/analysis/enquete/index.en.html
for ideas.

> I think it is unreasonable to ask the FSF for funds when on the other
> hand the term Free Software should be avoided. It should be a broad
> coalition of interested people, companies and NGO.

That coalition is Eurolinux, the group who has fought harder against
software patents and who should be preferably used to coordinate action.

--
Xavi Drudis Ferran
xdrudis at tinet.org