My alternative busines model

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope at nedprod.com
Wed Dec 4 22:07:32 UTC 2002

On 3 Dec 2002 at 21:49, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:55:44PM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote: > >
> I don't see selling free software as a viable economic model. > You
> can't sell information like you sell other goods. It's that simple.
>
> Right. And I would add that:
> I don't see selling proprietary software as a viable socio-economic
> model.

You seem to have something against capitalism. I also think
capitalism is doomed, but while it still exists I know we must all
work within it, including the software industry.

> Exactly the same way I don't see selling crack as a viable
> socio-economic model.

The only reason crack causes problems for society is because it's
illegal. Full legalisation with exams and licences would bring the
whole recreational drug issue to its least possible repercussions for
society. But nay, this is way off-topic ...

> Both bring a lot of satisfaction to the seller ($$) and both bring
> serious problems to the consumer (a tad more in the case of crack
> though... then again... ;) ).

Most crack dealers I've known are in worse a state than their
customers. I don't think that can be said about proprietary software
vendors :)

Cheers,
Niall