My alternative busines model

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope at nedprod.com
Tue Dec 3 03:31:23 UTC 2002

On 3 Dec 2002 at 5:09, Wolfgang Jaehrling wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 02:29:46AM +0100, Niall Douglas wrote:
> > I'm sure it contains much to invoke violent disagreement from list
> > members, but since I lit the fire I thought I'd throw on some more
> > wood! :)
>
> I see that the reasons you believe to be the biggest problems of the
> current proprietary software model are technical problems; however,
> Free Software is not about technical advantages.  It is about social
> and moral advantages.

No, I think I've addressed that as well. Note how I've guaranteed the
ability to reuse in a gratis derived product for no charge.

The social factor I think I've covered. The moral factor, by
definition, is harder. I personally would say it's all about how the
author treats their users and I believe you get a lot more with my
proposed model on that. It's not free - sure - but you get the right
to bug-fix for free.

> As your proprietary model only tries to gain the positive technical
> aspects that Free Software has, it is rather pointless in my opinion.

Except for all the reasons my huge long thread on that topic covers.
If you believe what I believe, then the GPL has value but causes me
concern.

What I think I have achieved however is a proprietary model which
gives the user all the rights that it can without sacrificing
profits. That's what I set out to do.

> And BTW, the license seems to contain various paragraphs taken from
> the GNU GPL, which would be a copyright violation. ;-)

Having just checked, you're right so my apologies. I'll attempt to
fix it, though it's getting quite late.

Cheers,
Niall